Machine Time – Laser Cutter
You can book the laser cutter in advance. It is a Tier-3 tool, and costs $10 per hour of use, to help cover the consumable costs of operating it. It is billed in 30 minute increments.
Online booking lets you book any major tool 1-8 days in advance. If you want to use this tool today, it is available first-come first-serve. We will let you know if somebody is scheduled to use that tool later in the day.
If you need to reschedule it please let us know right away so we can open it up for others! We cannot offer refunds for time not used, but we can reschedule it for you if we have at least one hour's notice.
- The laser can cut wood, acrylic, paper, cloth, and cardboard
- The laser can engrave metal if it has a coating on it – anodizing, paint, or something similar
- The maximum cutting area is 11×17 inches
- The maximum work area is a little larger than 12×18 inches
- There is a rotary attachment, but the object must be round (i.e. no handles)
- The laser prefers to load .ai files, although it can also use .dxf, .eps and a few other vector files
- The laser cannot read .svg files, but you can convert .svg files here
- Bitmap files (.jpg, .png) can be imported if you intend to engrave it
- The maximum thickness to cut through material is 3/16 inch thick
- The maximum thickness to engrave the surface is about six inches
- You cannot cut/engrave PVC, polycarbonate, lexan, ABS, HDPE, polystyrene, fiberglass or coated carbon fiber — these materials all emit fumes, catch on fire, or melt! If you aren't sure about materials ask us and we will help you!